sunni_ted
Sunday, November 13, 2011

TED: Doodlers, Unite!

From TED.com: Studies show that sketching and doodling improve our comprehension — and our creative thinking. So why do we still feel embarrassed when we’re caught doodling in a meeting? Sunni Brown says: Doodlers, unite! She makes the case for unlocking your brain via pad and pen.

Facebook2Twitter0LinkedIn0Google+9

Like this post? Leave a comment below!

1. Wei

Thank you for going against the norm. If you could present this to the state and the federal government, kids may do better in schools, people may be more engaged with politics and learn for once. This can stop them from cutting art programs. Please keep spreading your work and company. We do not need any more robots they generate from public institutions. Bring us back to the time when we care about what we absorb through our senses, like the first television.

2. Julie Wolk

Fantastic. Your definition of doodling is correct and I completely agree with you when you point out that doodling is most likely an innate tool that our society has not valued and developed. I am forwarding this link.

3. RocknOats

THANK YOU! I reposted and I’m going to add it to my company’s social intranet. I’ve been swimming against that current my whole life and aggressively doodling the whole time!!

Thanks, again!

4. Catherine Yard

As someone who doodled in class and still doodles at meetings whenever I’m told to ‘stop doodling’ I find myself immediately disengage from whatever is being said. I’m instead angered that my concentration has been lost and I no longer care what the person has to say anymore. After hearing this I wonder if I was taking it as an insult to my learning process…

Best of luck.

5. Pingback: Putting the do in doodling : Contrarian

6. David Platter

I too doodled in class…..
    ..but I was prone to loose focus on the class and immerse myself in my sketching.

It is important to identify that there is a difference from making marks unconsciously/subconsciously vs. sketching,cartooning, or making marks with an intent for manifestation.
    Claiming that the “doodle is a precursor to the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi” is inaccurate. This is a sketch which very likely took focus and concentration to manifest. Focus that would likely be taken from the subject in say a business meeting had this “sketch” in fact been generated in said meeting.
    Point is, doodling to maintain or aid in focus is not the same thing as sketching. Either her research needs to be more refined, or her language be more articulate.
    Interesting topic!

7. Pingback: The Brainy Benefits of Doodling | Chongolio

8. Pingback: The top 10 visual thinkers on Twitter - Mind Mapping Software Blog

9. Kristen

Where can I find such studies? I want to present them to my daughters school. I have doodled in school, in meetings and on the phone for over 30 years and it has always helped me to focus and pay more attention to what is being said. My daughter gets in trouble if she doodles in school yet the teacher complains that she is very fidgety with her hands in class. Why won’t they let her doodle? If anyone know where to find studies to support the benefits of doodling please email or post a link. Thank you! Kristenseebold at hotmail