Story Page 1
Friday, July 15, 2011

The Infamous Robert McKee: STORY Seminar in London

As I grow in my visual thinking work, it’s become abundantly clear that the story is 100 times more powerful than the visuals that support it (and am I going to get in trouble for saying that!) I’ve always known that visualizing crappy content is like putting lipstick on a pig, but the overwhelming importance of story, message, narrative, and arc is becoming part of my modus operandi like never before. So how does a girl get educated on story? Well, by taking the most famous seminar on story in the world – that of Robert McKee, story professor extraordinaire. He wrote the tome you’ve probably seen called “STORY” and delivers an intensive 4-day workshop that can’t possibly be remembered fully unless it’s visualized. So, while story matters, visuals, too, matter because creating them during class helped me cement the information into my cortex. So without further ado, my visual notes from McKee’s workshop. Enjoy.

View the images by clicking on the thumbnails below, or click here to view them on Flickr. And see more about Robert McKee on Facebook.

Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0Google+7

Like this post? Leave a comment below!

1. Michael

I have wanted, for a long time, to attend Robert’s Story seminar but unfortunately it’s a bit out of my price range. I have read his book and loved it!! Anyway, all that to say, thank you for putting this out!! This is awesome!!

2. John Johnson

OMG!!!! I love it! I am familiar with Tony Buzan and Mind Mapping, but I have never seen it put to use tis way! And you combing it with STORY! You are indeed a creative genius!…Brilliant!

” two thumbs up!”

John Johnson

3. Jon

This is amazing… And I agree with the ‘visuals’ thing… despite my background being in graphics… Story is key, and I think mystery is key to story… Get ‘em hooked and reel ‘em in! Love it!!!

4. Henderson Smith

Hey Sunni,

I’ve attended this seminar as well, but your notes are a work of art depicting the class. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing them! Henderson

5. Billy Delaney

This was exceptional.
    I saw the interview J.Fields did online and it was very good. I imagine that you enjoyed yourself then?
    I downloaded your pic’s and will listen/watch the interview and read along with you story/pic’s and see what happens.
    Billy

6. David Bourne

I’m very glad to find this, as I’m listening to the book now and would love to see these visuals as I “read”.

TIP: If you are using a flat bed scanner, try putting a black piece of card stock paper on top of your notebook paper. It helps stop the bleed-through (or whatever you call it).

Thanks for posting!

-David

7. Pingback: The Most Excellent List — The Sing Off, Markers, Made to Stick, Nicholas Cage and More | Hey Shenee!

8. Shortcinema

First of all…. F%#*ING FANTASTIC.

I have notes from the NYC seminar this spring but yours bring the information to vivid life. Thank you so much for sharing.

Second @Michael re: price range. I balked for a long time about the price but a friend I trust recently attend the seminar and I am grateful everyday that I finally listened to him.

Something you may want to consider that is not widely known, that I did, is assist at the seminar. You have to arrive earlier, assist during breaks and sometimes say a bit later. Your days are longer than the other students but you get a quite a good break in the price. The spots are very limited so you may want inquire before he is in your area again.

Thanks again for the FABULOUS post.
    -SC